Rainbow Mountain, also known as Vinicunca or Montaña de Siete Colores, is a breathtaking natural wonder located in Peru. December marks the rainy season in this region, offering a unique perspective of the landscape. While the weather might be unpredictable, visiting during this time can be a rewarding experience.
Pros of Visiting Rainbow Mountain in December
- Vivid Colors: The rainy season enhances the colors of Rainbow Mountain, creating an even more vibrant and picturesque scene.
- Fewer Crowds: December sees fewer tourists compared to peak months, allowing for a more peaceful and intimate exploration.
- Photography Opportunities: The combination of mist, rainbows, and unique lighting can result in stunning and unique photographs.
- Lush Greenery: The rainy season brings lush vegetation to the surrounding areas, adding an extra layer of beauty to the landscape.
Please read: Best time to visit Rainbow Mountain of Peru.
Cons of Visiting Rainbow Mountain in December
- Unpredictable Weather: Rainfall and clouds can obscure the view, limiting the visibility of the mountain’s distinct color bands.
- Muddy Trails: The trails can become muddy and slippery due to the rain, requiring sturdy footwear and cautious hiking.
- Limited Outdoor Activities: Extreme weather conditions might restrict some outdoor activities, affecting trekking options.
- Cooler Temperatures: December can bring chilly temperatures, especially at the top of the rainbow mountain but this depends of the weather if is sunny will be warm, so proper clothing is essential for a comfortable visit.
Things You Can Do in December
- Hiking: Despite the challenges, hiking to Rainbow Mountain can still be an incredible adventure during December.
- Photography: Capture the unique beauty of the landscape with the interplay of mist and colors.
- Cultural Experiences: Engage with local communities, learn about their traditions, and enjoy authentic Peruvian cuisine.
Considerations for Visiting Vinicunca (Rainbow Mountain) in December
- In the rainy season, the weather is cloudy, rainy, and cold, therefore the temperature drops to 5 ° C at night, and during the day it has an average temperature between 10 to 15 ° C.
- December our rainy season in Cusco is our summer and the weather is warmer
- In the first 15 days of December Vinicunca receives few visitors but after 15 of December till January will increase due to the Christmas and New Year holidays.
- The rain comes with lightning in December so it is dangerous to hike to Rainbow Mountain, especially in the afternoon so recommended to visit in the morning.
- You can have better weather in the morning than in the afternoon in the afternoons there is more chance of rain and it comes with lightning and thunder and can be dangerous.
- Check Weather Updates: Keep an eye on weather forecasts and local advice to plan your visit accordingly.
- Be Prepared: Bring waterproof gear, sturdy hiking boots, and warm clothing to stay comfortable.
- Flexible Itinerary: Have a flexible schedule if weather conditions may impact your plans.
- Respect Nature: Leave no trace, respect the environment, and engage with local communities responsibly.
Visiting Rainbow Mountain in December can offer a unique experience despite the challenges presented by the rainy season. Embrace the unexpected, capture stunning photos, and immerse yourself in the natural beauty and culture of this remarkable destination.