Choquequirao or gold cradle in Quechua, is located at 3,085 meters of altitude, carved in stone by the Incas, where the organization of the Empire of Tawantinsuyo (the four regions) was strictly directed by an Inca ruler. Choquequirao is protected by the Apurímac River. and it is surrounded by snow-covered mountains of Yanama, Ampay, Choquetarpu and Pumasillo. This is a classic of the Inca city, with sacred sectors, ritual temples, astronomical, urban and agricultural centers.
Considered by many visitors who visited him as the sister of Machu Picchu and sometimes many dare to say it is better than Machu Picchu. The best thing that this archaeological center has is the ideal trekking for those people who love nature and trek that can only be accessed by walking because there are no railways or roads that can take you to or near the same Choquequirao, which is why access is full trekking, many visitors consider this journey as a pilgrimage, an escape from the routine, a challenge of their own and not being well known, the road is free for the adventurer. where you will have a unique experience.
- Start altitude: 2900m / 9515ft.
- Maximum altitude: 3050m / 10,005 feet
- Walking distance: 64 km / 40 miles
- Longest day: Day 1, approximately 25 km / 15.5 miles
- General difficulty: Difficult
- Type of trip: Hiking, camping, adventure, history, culture
- Good for: Those who enjoy hiking and are in moderate form
- Difficulty: Defiant
- Considerations: This trek does not visit Machu Picchu.
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
- Pre-departure briefing the night before your tour
- Collection from your hotel in Cusco
- Private bus to the starting point of the trek and back to Cusco
- 04 breakfast 04 lunch 04 dinner snacks (vegetarian, vegan option, gluten-free special diets upon your request.)
- Water only you have to take until the first lunch place
- Entrance fee to Choquequirao sanctuary
- horse to carry camping and cooking equipment and your personal duffle bag up to 7 kilos
- Experienced top tour guides (2-8 with one tour guide 9 to 16 two guides)
- Dinning ten with table and chairs
- Four-man ten for every two hikers
- Sleeping Pad
- Oxygen bottle
- First aid kit
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED?
- sleeping bag (five seasons) can be hired from us
- breakfast on day first lunch and dinner on day five
- tips for trekking crew, guides, cooks, and porters
- hot springs on the way back to Cusco (10 soles)
- travel insurance (check that your insurance covers you for treks above 4,200 masl)
DAY 01 CUSCO – CACHORA – SANTA ROSA
We will collect you early in the morning from your hotel in hour private transportation this will be 4 hours of driving to the starting point of our tour called Cachora here we will meet our horse men and get ready give the duffle bag, then start with the adventure the path heads down into the Apurimac valley from this section you will have incredible view of the snow-capped mountains in a distance and the impressive Apurimac valley which we will follow for the day, after few hours of hiking we will have our first view of choquequirao in the other side of the mountain this valley is rich in flora and fauna so we will see a variety of those on the way down in to the valley.
Our campsite is call Santa Rosa with elevation of (2200 m / 7217ft) and this is on the other side of the Apurimac River after we cross the River we will start going up until the camp this day we cover longer distance than the other companies in order to be in a quiet and relaxing place.
DAY 02 SANTA ROSA – CHOQUEQUIRAO
The second day is consider the hardest day of the trek, because in order to get to Choquequirao we have to climb up on the other site of Apurimac valley we will gain elevation of 800 / 2624. Distance to cover of 14 km. this section hot and humid conditions. It is very hard but the rewarding will be the breathtaking views to the Huanipaca snowcapped mountain and the valley of Apurimac mixed with the wide variety of flora and fauna that you will find in this side of the valley.
Along the the day we will see a lot of variety of bromeliad, orchids, and bamboo, also we can see some birds like the Quetzals, tucans and a lot of species of hummingbirds. After a long 5 or 6 hours of hike Approx. we will make to our
campsite which is close to Choquequirao with an elevation 3050m / 10000ft here we will spent the night, if we are lucky with the weather we can have a nice sunset if we are lucky we may see Condors soaring over the Apurimac valley.
DAY 03 CHOQUEQUIRAO – CHIQUISKA
After a great breakfast we will go to explore Choquequirao here you tour guide will take you to the most important places of this city and you will learn about the Inca culture.
This Inca site is consider the sister of Machupicchu, compared to Machupicchu little is known about this amazing place even though it has been discovered before Machupicchu. This place originally was discovered in the early 18th century by the Spanish but it was forgotten until the last century, nowadays the tourism is increase and travel agencies are offering tours to this incredible Inca site even with this increase of the tourism still 70% of this site in uncovered and many of its secrets are still waiting to be discovered.
After we explore all about Choquequirao we have to head back to Cachora along the same route we came this day we will go to the base of the valley where we will spent our last night in Chiquiska (1800m 7 5900ft.).
DAY 04 CHIQUISKA – CACHORA – CUSCO
Our Andean porters they will wake us up early in the morning with a nice hot coca tea then you will organize your personal stuff following you will have your nutritious breakfast in order to make our way up the side of the valley from this side we will have our final view of Choquequirao and the snowcapped mountains in the distance, finally we will arrive to Cachora late in the afternoon here our bus will be waiting for us to take us back to Cusco.
Choquequirao 4 days: private service
02 people 580 USD per person
04 people 520 USD
06 + people 500 USD