Salkantay trek to Machupicchu is considered one of the famous treks in Cusco besides Inca trail, the best alternative trek to get to Machu Picchu that goes through different micro-climates like this changing the scenery every day from the glacier, valleys, jungle, and hot spring on day three. So you will have beautiful landscapes with amazing lakes and incredible snowcap mountains collide with lush tropical cloud forest. This path was used by our ancestors in order to connect Machupicchu through LLactapata Inca site the trek offers a perfect mix of trekking, culture, and nature.
Book in advance.
- Starting Altitude – 2900m / 9515ft.
- Highest Altitude – 4650m / 15,200ft.
- Walking Distance – 60.5 km / 37.5 miles.
- Longest Day – Day 2, approximately 21 km/13 miles.
- Coldest Night – Day 1 around 0º Celsius.
- Acclimatization is Recommended you have to spend at least 48 hours over 3000 meters above sea level)
- Overall Difficulty – Difficult (depends on your level of fitness).
Day 01 Cusco- Mollepata -Soraypampa
pick up for Salkantay trek is at 5 am you will be picked up by your tour guide in order to start your adventure Salkantay to Machu Picchu from Cusco we will drive for 2 hours and a half until Mollepata here we will stop in order to buy your breakfast after breakfast we will drive for another 30 more minutes until Marko Q’asa here is where our official hiking adventure begins! Once you get off from our bus you will have time to get ready and get our group picture before we start our Andean hike the first two hours will be uphill with beautiful views until we arrive irrigation canal from this section we will for another 2 hours and a half this section is pretty flat until our lunch spot with outstanding view to Humantay glacier and Salkantay once we arrive at Soraypampa this is going to be our lunch spot and campsite, of our Salkantay trek of course the best camp from where you can see humantay and Salkantay mountain cover in glacier, after lunch we will hike to the lake which will take us two hours and a half once you arrive you enjoy the majestic humantay glacial and the amazing lake after you enjoy the lake we will go back to our campsite in order to organize our bed and wear our warm clothes because this is our coldest campsite with an amazing view!
Day 02 Soraypampa- Salkantay – chalway – Colpapampa
Early in the morning our cook will wake us up with a hot coca tea after this you will have time to get ready your stuff them you will have your breakfast after a good breakfast we will start with our amazing hike this is going to be the longest, the most beautiful day and the highest point of our trek, the first three hours will uphill until we get to the highest point salkantay pass 4650 m 15255ft we will so close to the glacial of salkantay which is considered one of the second highest mountain in Cuzco we will have time to enjoy the view of the valleys from the top after that we will continue with the downhill for another two hours until wayracmachay this place is our lunch stop once we enjoy our amazing and nutrition lunch we will continue with the downhill for another four more hours more o les until we arrive to our campsite after lunch the clime will change we will in a high jungle where will be able to see beautiful flowers and hummingbirds you will pass chalway village and the river with the same name little uphill them campsite survived the Hardest day of Salkantay trek!
Day 03 Colpapampa- la Playa
Wake up call with hot coca tea and them time to get ready our stuff after breakfast after good breakfast time to start with our hike today will be an easy day with little uphill and downhill with a lovely vegetation as well we will pass through some small villages the families are farmers so you will chance to taste different jungle fruit, still you will descend like 800m until our lunch spot which is la playa and will be our campsite too so in the afternoon we will have free time like this you will rest for the following day or if you want to visit the hot spring you can arrange with the tour guide, tea time dinner and bed time.
Day 04 la playa- Hidro Electrica – Machu Picchu Pueblo
we start with our adventure early in the morning the first 30 minutes we will follow the dusty road until we reach to head of the inca trail that heads to the small inca site at the top of the mountain from the fork is going to be uphill for 3 hours with beautiful views to the mountains surrounding vilcabamba once we reach to the top we will descend for ten minutes until the small incan site call llactapata in where we will have time to explore, enjoy the surrounding mountains and machu Picchu in the distance then time to continue with downhill for 2 hour until hidro electrica where we will have our last lunch after lunch we will say good bye to our chef it is a tradition to give tips after this ceremony we will continue to the town of machu Picchu pueblos we will do our check-in at the hotel you will have time to enjoy your showers and them we will go to one restaurant where we will have our last dinner as well you will organize with your tour guide for the following day Machu Picchu and last hiking day of Salkantay trek.
Day 5 Machu Picchu citadel!!
Early in the morning your tour guide will pick you up from your hotel then you will go to the bus station in order to take bus to Machu Picchu the wonder of the world once you arrive you will have guided tour for two hours where you will visit the most important temples after the guided tour you have your free time in order to explore more, if you have permits to hike either waynapicchu or machupicchu mountain. Your guide will give you your bus tickets to go down to Machu Picchu Pueblo as well will offer you a meeting point in a restaurant to enjoy your last lunch in a local restaurant of course this is optional.
In the afternoon you will take the train back to Ollanataytambo where our bus driver will be waiting for you with Andean Soul Adventure logo and take you back to Cusco end of Salkantay trek.
INCLUDED / NOT INCLUDED
- Pre-departure briefing the night before of your tour
- Collection from your hotel.
- Private bus to the starting point of the trek.
- 04 breakfast 04 lunch 04 dinner snacks (vegetarian, vegan option, gluten free special diets upon your request.).
- Water only you have to take until the first lunch place.
- Entrance fee to Machupicchu sanctuary.
- horse to carry camping and cooking equipment and your personal duffle bag up to 7 kilos .
- Experienced top tour guides (2-8 with one tour guide 9 to 16 two guides).
- Dinning ten with table and chairs .
- Four man ten for every two hikers .
- Sleeping pad .
- Round trip bus ticket on day five.
- First aid kit
- Sleeping bag (five season) can be hired from us
- Breakfast on day first lunch and dinner on day five.
- Entrance to waynapicchu or machupicchu mountain.
- Tips for trekking crew, guides, cooks and porters.
- Hot springs in Machupicchu pueblo (10 soles).
- Travel insurance (check that your insurance covers you for treks above 4,200 masl).
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO TAKE
- Original Passport
- ISIC card (if you are a student and want to qualify for the discount)
- Walking boots
- Waterproof jacket / rain poncho
- Warm jacket
- Hat and gloves
- Comfortable Trousers
- Sun hat
- Sun cream (factor 35 or higher).
- Insect repellant.
- Toiletries and hand sanitizer.
- Personal medication.
- Torch with spare batteries.
- First aid kit.